Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for David Sacia

State of New York
Montgomery County
            I do certify that on the 5th day of November 1836 personally appeared before me Abraham Morrell first Judge of the Montgomery County Courts (being a court of Record) Susanah Sacia of the town of Canajoharie in the County aforesaid of David Sacia and make the following declaration on oath to entitle her to a pension under the Act of Congress of the 4th of July 1836—That her husband the said David Sacia died the 8th day of March 1828—that he was at the time of his death in the ninety second year of his age as this deponent has always understood for him and believes to be true—that this applicant was married to her said husband David Sacia in the year 1772 at the City of Schenectady where she and her said husband then lived and that soon after the commencement of the Revolutionary War her said husband was called into the service in the army of the Revolution as a private soldier—that she cannot state the precise times when he was so called into the service—but that she well recollects that he was several times called out and marched to Schoharie where he aided in keeping garrison in the Fort at Schoharie and also in the Fort at Middleburgh in Schoharie County which was then; called the Uppert Fort, (1) while the one at Schoharie was called the lower Fort as she now believes—and that she has no doubt but that he rendered such services at said Forts as often as 10 or 15 times during the said War in the capacity of a soldier—She well recollects that the stated that he was generally under the Command of col. Zeilley. (2) She cannot state who was his Captain in the service above named unless it was Abraham Oothout (3) of Schenectady as she has often hear him speak of his being with him in the service—She also remembers to have heard him state that Col. Willett (4) was at the above mentioned Forts.  She also recollects that her said husband whilst in the service above named stated that he had been on Express to Cherry Valley several times and that on one of those occasions he was taken prisoner by the Indians in Company with Butler (5) and Carried to his Camp, which from his description must have been somewhere near Bowman’s Creek in Montgomery County and from whom he escaped on the following night and returned to the service—And this applicant has no doubt but that her said husband remained in the service aforesaid from 20 to 40 days at each time—That he husband was also during the said Revolutionary War called into the service of the United States at different times to Johnstown, to Fort Hunter, to Fort Plain, to Fort Stanwix, Lake George, Schenectady, and Albany and that he did on some of those occasions remain in the service as such soldier from one to three months at the time—She does not remember under what officers except that she heard him at one time state that he was commanded by one General Gansevoort and at another time and she thinks at Johnstown in Montgomery County by Col. Willett—and she has no doubt but that he served as such soldier at the last mentioned places as often as twenty different times—and varying from then to thirty days—And this applicant further declares that her said husband rendered considerable service for the Revolutionary army during said Revolution by drawing loads with his wagon and team from and to different military posts within the state of New York—She well recollects that he went several times to lake George with loads—Also to some other military posts above mentioned and that he was much employed in this way—And this applicant has no doubt but that he spent as much as 6 or 8 months in teaming for said army as aforesaid—That she remembers that he would not return home as soon as expected when he went to the different posts with loads and when asked the reason by his applicant—would state that he had been pressed and detained by the American officers at the different posts to draw wood and other necessaries for the army, which this applicant believes to be true—she well remembers that on one occasion when returning from Lake George he stated that the Indians, had driven him from the usual crossing place of the North River [Hudson]—When he was compelled to swim the river with his horses and wagon to prevent his falling into the hands of the enemy.—And she further declares that she has no doubt but that her said husband was engaged in the army of the Revolution during the Revolutionary War at least half of the time said war continued and that she believes that he rendered at least three years service to said army during said war as a soldier as aforesaid—that she remembers to have heard her said husband state that he had been in several engagements with the enemy during said war but the particulars of which she does not now remember but she believes that one was at the upper [Middle] Fort in Middleburgh aforesaid another place called Cobleskill in the County of Schoharie—that she has often heard her said husband speak of the bravery of one Timothy Murphy (6) a rifleman who fought with him at the said Upper [Middle Fort] at Middleburgh aforesaid under the Command of Col. Zielley—she has no recollection that her said husband held any grade in said service except that of a private—that she this applicant has remained a widow ever since the death of her said husband and is yet a widow and that no application has ever been made but this for a pension for the services of her said husband, and that neither her said husband nor this applicant have ever been on any pension list of the United States whatever—And she further declares that she was 85 or 86 years old on the tenth day of May last—And she further declares that she has no documentary evidence of such services whatever—And that this applicant also relies upon the affidavits hereto annexed as evidence of the services of her said husband in said Revolutionary War.  (Signed with her mark)  Susanah Sacia
            Subscribed and sworn to the day and year above written Before me.  Abraham Morrell First Judge Montgomery County Court.
            This certifies that as appears from the Register of the Reformed Dutch Church of this City, David Sacia or as spelt in the Dutch language in said Register “David Sege” and Susanna Bradt his wife, presented their child “Pieter” for baptism on the 4th day of April 1779, before the then pastor of the church Barent Vrooman.  And I further certify that the Record of marriages for several years previous to and during the war of the revolution, which were solemnized in said church or by the pastor thereof were very imperctly [sic] Kept, and that in consequence, no record of the marriage of said David & Susanna as well as of many other persons belonging to said church and congregation can be found-- given Schenectady Oc. 25, 1836.  Jacob Van Vechten Pastor.

State of New York
Montgomery County
            Frederick Weller of the Town of Minden in the County of Montgomery and State of New York aforesaid being duly sworn says that he is seventy nine years old will be Eighty the 10th day of December next that he was a sargeant in a company of Malitia Commanded by Captain Abraham Oothoudt of the City of Schenectady during the whole of the Revolutionary War & that he then & during said War resided within a few miles of said city—that this deponent is now on the Pension list [S14816] of the United States for the services he rendered in said War—That he this deponent was personally acquainted with David Sacia named in the annexed declaration and who with his wife Susanah Sacia before and during the whole of said war & that they the said David & Susanah his wife lived during the whole of said War within two or three miles from this deponent knows that they the said David & Susanah lived together as man & wife before & during said War & this deponent has no doubt but that they were married before the commencement of said Revolutionary War—that the said David Sacia was a private soldier belonging to the same company of Malitia to which this deponent belonged as aforesaid—this deponent remembers that in the year 1776 and he thinks in the month of July or August the company to which deponent belonged Commanded by Capt. Oothout was ordered to Schoharie in the service of the Revolution that the said Sacia was with said Company & that the said Company lay in garrison at the lower fort at Schoharie for some time, and deponent believes as long as 14 days before they were discharged and that the time in going & returning was as much as ten days—And this deponent further says that said Sacia remained in the service as a soldier as aforesaid until the company was discharged as aforesaid—And that they were Commanded by Col. Abraham Wemple (7) as deponent believes—this deponent further says that during the same year & he thinks in the month of November the said Company was again ordered into the service of the revolution to Schoharie and that said Sacia again accompanied them as a private soldier when they again lay in Garrison at said Lower Fort for the period of from ten to twenty days--& that the time in going to & returning from said Fort was at least ten Days—That in the year 1777 the said company was in the month June ordered to Fort George (8) & this was no doubt but that said Sacia went in Company to said Fort where they remained in the service of the Revolution for six weeks when Burgoin [sic] advanced upon the American Army & the American Army to which deponent & said Sacia belonged retreated from Fort George to Fort Edward (9) & from there to Fort Miller (10) – And that a portion of the men who belonged to said Company were then discharged to enable them to go home & cut & gather their harvest but whether said Sacia was so discharged or not deponent does not remember—that this deponent during the fall of the year 1777 followed teaming for the Government--& did not go out with the company that fall but that deponent was informed & believes that the said Company during that fall made one trip to Schoharie in the service & one up the Mohawk River in which they must have been out at least two months & deponent has no doubt but that said Sacia went with said Company into the service on the two occasions above last mentioned—that in the year 1778 as deponent believes the said company went on two occasion to the Upper Fort [Middle] in Schoharie County to a place called Middleburgh & that said Sacia was in Company & that the said company remain in garrison at each time at said last mentioned for from 14 to 20 days--& that they were from 8 to ten days in going & returning—that they were compelled to march by slow march the road being bad--& that they were sometimes attacked by the Indians—And that one Col. Zielly commanded said Fort—that deponent understood that said Willett was at one time at said Fort when deponent & said Sacia was there but deponent does not recollect of seeing him—that in the year 1778 the said company including said Sacia went from Schenectady into the service with Colonel Gansevoort (11) or General Gansevoort to Johnstown in Montgomery County where they remained about one week—when the said company went in company with the Continental troops to a place called “Sackendaga” now called the Fish house in Montgomery County to build block houses for the use of the said Army where they remained 5 or 6 days when they returned home and that they were all of 14 days going & returning on the last tour—that said Company was during the whole Revolutionary War at different times called to the City of Schenectady to keep guard & that said Service every iniformity in this service--& that they were 10 on guard some times a day or two & some times 3 & 4 Days & that the said Company including said Sacia during the whole of said Revolutionary War were in the service at Schenectady on guard at least six months--& that in addition thereto they performed considerable service at a place called Veillys Rapids about 3 miles above Schenectady—that in the year 1779 as deponent believes & at a time when Major Ross burnt Balstown (12) in Saratoga County the said Company was again called into the service including said Sacia when they went to Balstown & pursued the enemy all night & till day light but did not overtake them & that they remained there 4 or 5 days & then returned home & that they were a fortnight in going staying & returning home--& that said Company in the year when Sir John Johnson burnt Schoharie & Florida (13) & Charlestown the company including Sacia went to Fort Hunter & from there to Charlestown & from there they went to Johnstown that they was out at this time about 3 weeks—this deponent further says that said company including said Sacia went one tour to Fort Plain & that deponents brother went with them at that time the Indians burnt the houses in that quarter (14) but the year deponent does not recollect—that deponent did not go with them at this time & how long they were gone deponent does not remember and this deponent says that said Company including said Sacia was in the War of the Revolution more or less in the years 1780 & 1781 & 1782 that this deponent remembers that in one of the last mentioned three years said Sacia went in the Company with Col. Willett to Oswego (15) when they were gone at least 3 weeks & that they were at least 14 days going & returning—that said Sacia was a good faithful soldier and was at all times ready & willing to save his country—And this deponent further says that he knows that said Susanah has remained a widow ever since the death of her said husband & that she is yet a widow—And this deponent further says that he has no doubt but that said Sacia performed much service during the said war in the army of the revolution which deponent cannot now remember & that it often happened that said company including said Sacia during the whole of said Revolutionary War served in said war in all more than two years—and further deponent says not—(Signed) Frederick Weller
            Subscribed & sworn this 17th day of November 1836 before me.  JF Fan A[?] Justice of the Peace
End Notes

    •  The Upper Fort was in Fultonham area in Schoharie County.  It was the Middle Fort that was in Middleburgh.
    • Peter W. Zeilie was the Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fifteenth Regiment of Albany County Militia.
    • Abraham Oothout was a Captain in the Second Regiment of Albany County Militia.
    • Colonel Marinus Willett would not have been in Schoharie until 1781 or later.  In April Willett was in command of a regiment of New York State Levies.  He had two companies stationed in the Schoharie Valley.  It is possible he inspected the forts etc. but he did not stay there very long as his headquarters were at Fort Rensselaer in the Mohawk Valley.
    • It is not stated as to which Butler.  It would b e an odd instance in either case.  The only time Captain Walter Butler was possibly in the area is when he destroyed Cherry Valley on the 11th of November 1778.  With about 3 feet of snow on the ground, I would doubt he would have been able to escape without snowshoes.  There is no evidence that Walter’s father Lieutenant-Colonel John Butler was in that area at any time.  Because of his rank, it would be unlikely that he would be out with less than 500 men.  John Butler never led a party of Crown troops into the Mohawk Valley.
    • This incident took place on the 17th of October 1780.
    • Abraham Wemple was the Colonel of the Second Regiment of the Albany County Militia.
    • Fort George was at Lake George, Warren County, NY near the ruins of Fort William Henry.
    • The remnants of Fort Edward can still be seen in the Village of Fort Edward, Washington County, NY.
    • Nothing remains of this Fort which also was in Washington County, N.Y.  British General John Burgoyne was pursuing the American Army under American General, Major General Philip Schuyler in the summer of 1777.
    • Peter Gansevoort was Colonel of the Third New York Continental Regiment.  He was in 1781 promoted to Brigadier General of one of the Albany County Militia Brigades.  The Blockhouse was ordered to be built in April of 1779 not 1778 by General James Clinton.  Detachments of the Third and Fifth New York Regiments along with militia helped build this blockhouse.
    • Weller is also wrong about this.  BallsTown was destroyed on the 17th of October 1780.  Sacia was at the Middle Fort with Timothy Murphy and could not be at BallsTown [now Ballston Spa, Saratoga County].  Also Major John Ross was not in command of the British for this raid.  Frederick Weller could not have been at the same place on the same day for these raids.  The marching distance was too great.  It is possible that Frederick went to BallsTown as part of the Second Albany which did go there.  David was at the Middle Fort and he probably went with part of the garrison in pursuit of Sir John Johnson.  That detachment from Schoharie was a day or so behind Sir John and arrived in the Palatine area on the 20th.  Sir John had already fought two battles on the 19th in that area and continued his retreat to Canada.
    • What is now the Town of Florida and Charleston, Montgomery County had been burned on the 18th of October 1780.
    • Frederick was referring to the 2nd of August 1780.  Captain Joseph Brant and Cornplanter attacked and burned what is now the Village of Fort Plain and the Town of Minden, Montgomery County.  The 2nd Albany did march to the area but after it happened, they could do little but bury the dead.
    • In February 1783, Colonel Marinus Willett with about 500 men left Fort Rensselaer and marched to Fort Oswego held by the British.  Willett had hoped to surprise the garrison with a winter attack and capture the fort.  Unfortunately, it failed and Willett with troops returned to Fort Rensselaer.  Many of the militia like David went along as drivers for sleighs [about 130] to carry supplies for the troops.

Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2007. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.